A gourmet version of ketchup that is tasty with no added sugar, unlike most commercial brands. Makes about 6 cups.
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic (about 5 cloves), chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (including stems)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound fresh vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces) plum tomatoes including juice
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
Sauté onion, fennel, celery, ginger, and garlic in the oil on low heat until tender, about 15 min.
Add remaining ingredients and cook on low heat for another half-hour.
Puree in a blender or with a hand blender until smooth. For a smoother sauce, push ketchup through a fine mesh strainer.
Refrigerate overnight and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.