A rainbow of rhubarb, orange pepper, avocado, and jalapeño makes this báhn mì anything but ordinary. Its delicious combinations of texture, taste, and nutrients are over the top. Serves 2.
- 1 stalk rhubarb, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 small tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon agave
- 1/4 fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 x 4 inch baguettes (or “demi” baguette)
- 1/3 English cucumber, cut into 3-inch long spears
Marinate rhubarb and bell pepper in seasoned vinegar overnight in the refrigerator.
Combine tomato and avocado with salt and agave. Set aside.
Mix jalapeño with cilantro, chives, and mayonnaise. Set aside.
Split baguettes and fill with pickled vegetables, cucumber spears, tomato-avocado relish and jalapeño-herb mayonnaise.