By Kristen Rasmussen, MS, RD
For this month’s Well Being Challenge, we encourage you to eat at least seven servings of fruits and vegetables and two servings of whole grains every day for one week.
Visit cafebonappetit.com for resources to help determine what is a standard serving of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Share your experiences by posting comments or photos of foods in proper portions on our Facebook page wall. Here’s a recipe to get you started.
Makes six 3-4 ounce servings
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, raw
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning blend (oregano, rosemary, and basil)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season chicken with seasoning blend and pepper.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, pan sear chicken on both sides and set aside. When all chicken is browned, leave remaining oil in pan and reduce heat to low.
- Add garlic to pan and cook over low heat until lightly browned; stirring frequently. Add wine, salt, chicken stock, and thyme scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Simmer until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and roast uncovered until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 15 minutes. Top with sauce. Serve hot, with one 3-4 oz chicken breast and one ounce of sauce per guest.