Every person at this company — from the grill person to our managers all the way up to our CEO — has a sincere passion for great food. It is our daily focus.
Our teams follow these kitchen principles to assure the highest level of food quality and the most flavorful, nutritious options for our guests:
- Menus are written based on seasonality and availability of regional fresh product. Whenever possible, these are produced locally using sustainable and organic practices.
- Vegetables are prepared in batches at the last possible minute and served in the smallest possible batches.
- Healthy menu items are a mainstream offering throughout our cafés.
- Vegetarian options are plentiful at every meal.
- Stocks are made from scratch.
- Salsas, pizza, marinara and other sauces are made from scratch.
- Olive and canola oils are used for everyday salad dressings. Specialty oils for other purposes (i.e. walnut oil or chili oil). Peanut oil is never used in the preparation of our food.
- All salad dressings are made from scratch. Nonfat and low-calorie dressings may be purchased as necessary.
- Cookies and muffins are baked fresh daily. Breads are baked fresh daily where possible.
- Trans fats are not used in our kitchens.
- Turkey and beef are roasted in-house daily for deli meat.
- Seafood is purchased fresh when available locally or frozen at the source to ensure quality — never air-freighted.
- Mashed potatoes are made from fresh potatoes.
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice is used for cooking and sauces.
- MSG is never used in the preparation of our food.
(See also the Sourcing section)
- All seafood purchases, wild and farmed, follow the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program sustainability guidelines for commercial buyers. Salmon must be wild-caught.
- Milk and yogurt are from cows not treated with artificial Bovine Growth Hormone.
- Shell eggs are produced cage-free and are certified by Humane Farm Animal Care, Food Alliance or Animal Welfare Approved.
- Turkey and chicken are produced without the routine use of antibiotics as a feed additive.
- Hamburgers are made with fresh ground beef from cattle raised on vegetarian feed, never given antibiotics or hormones, and from ranches whose animal welfare practices are third-party verified.
- Other meats are raised without antibiotics as a first preference.