The sustainable and deliciously flavorful fish that you didn’t know you loved, mackerel’s omega-3 fatty acids are brain boosting and satisfying. This salad is high in protein and paired with creamy white beans, arugula, and herbs for a truly Mediterranean experience.
- One 4 to 5-ounce tin of mackerel packed in olive oil, drained (reserve oil)*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 4 cups arugula, watercress, or other salad greens
- 1 cup cooked white beans**, such as cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, oregano, and thyme
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Smoked paprika or chili flakes, to taste (optional)
- Olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
Blend reserved olive oil from mackerel with lemon juice and toss with arugula, white beans, and fresh herbs.
Top salad with mackerel (either chopped or whole filets, depending on preference), sea salt, optional paprika or chili flakes, and optional olive oil drizzle.
Serve immediately at room temperature.
*Most mackerel is considered a good choice by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch, but click here for more details on the best choices.
** Bon Appetit uses cooked from dry beans, but you can substitute most of one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed