- Recent Posts
- Eckerd College Gets Juiced About Farm-Fresh Oranges
- Recipe: Brussels Sprouts Caesar
- Bon Appétit Answers the Call of Duty at MIT
By Jonnie Gummo, Simmons Hall Front of House Manager
When reports of explosions at the Boston Marathon quickly spread across the Charles River to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the entire campus community stopped what it was doing. Students and employees scrambled to attempt to reach loved ones, to check on them as well as reassure that they themselves were all right. As the city went into shock, Bon Appétit employees gathered with students around radios, televisions, and computers, waiting for news.
When the smoke cleared, the Boston area was on edge, but the Bon Appétit team at MIT tried to maintain a semblance of “business as usual.” But around 11 p.m. on April 18, Simmons Hall’s late night cashier, Iyunolu Adedeji, received word that there had been a shooting on campus. With beloved young Officer Sean Collier down and his gunman on the loose, MIT officials immediately put the campus on lockdown and ordered Iyun to close the café.
Simmons Hall front of House Manager Jonnie Gummo was still awake with her eyes glued to the news when she received the call around 6 a.m. from General Manager Lauren Patterson.
“There’s been another shooting, and there is no public transit. We need all available hands on deck.” Continue…
- At Goucher College, More Sustainable Relationships Blossom
- Watch BAMCO’s Maisie Greenawalt Talk Meat at TEDxManhattan Feb. 16
- Maisie Greenawalt Tweets Meat February 7 in Lead-Up to TEDxManhattan 2013
- Bon Appétit Chooses ALBA to Receive Our Holiday Gift
- Food Service for a Sustainable Future, 2.0
- In Hurricane Sandy’s Aftermath, MIT Saves (Local Fisherman’s) Day
- Bon Appétit and Seafood Watch to Host Twitter Chat on #localfish
- Join Us for Two Upcoming Twitter Chats – Sustainability and Local Fish
- What Should “Food Services for a Sustainable Future” Look Like? Tell Us!