A blend of Scandinavian and Mediterranean flavors, this rice pudding is delicious warm and even better cold, as the flavors have time to meld. So delicious and easy that completing this month’s Well Being Challenge will be no problem! Brown rice may be used, but will result in a chewier texture.
Cardamom and Apricot Rice Pudding
Serves 4 – 6
Sodium: Under 60mg per 1/2 cup serving
- 1 cup medium-grain white or brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 green cardamom pods, opened
- 1/2 vanilla bean pod
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 – 5 apricots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted, toasted pistachios, chopped
- Combine rice, water, and cardamom in large saucepan and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the inside of the vanilla bean pod and stir pod and scrapings into rice along with milk and sugar. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring frequently until rice is soft, about 15 – 20 minutes, adding more milk if necessary.
- Stir in apricots and vanilla extract. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to absorb the remaining liquid. Discard vanilla bean pod and cardamom shells. Can be served warm or cold. May top with toasted pistachios.
The sodium values provided are estimates based on USDA data for the ingredients and will vary with specific products and preparation methods.