The Student Activist Grant Program from Bon Appétit Management Company
In honor of the 10th anniversary of the Bon Appétit Fellowship Program, we’re offering ten $1,000 grants to student groups on campuses we serve across the country with compelling projects to improve food system sustainability. For example, to fund a campus garden or a Food Recovery Network chapter — or something else entirely.
The Bon Appétit Management Company leadership team created the Bon Appetit Fellowship Program in 2009 to help young food-systems activists learn about sustainable food issues firsthand, participate in the company’s work to make change, and educate their peers.
TELL US: What would your group do with $1,000?
(Extra credit for collaboration with your dining team!)
Applications are due October 1, 2019. Apply now!
GUIDELINES AND ELIGIBILITY
Short and sweet. Please describe what you would use the funds for and why this is important to your campus in 300 words or less.
Categorize it! Which of the following best describes your project?
- Waste Prevention and Reduction
- Hunger and Food Insecurity [note: food recovery related submissions go here]
- Campus Farms and Gardens
- Food Literacy, Education and Advocacy
- Miscellaneous / Other
Eligibility: Project must be submitted by or in partnership with an existing student group at a campus served by Bon Appetit Management Company. Only one application per student group is permitted. In order to apply for a Student Activist Grant, student groups must first determine what person/department/group at their college can receive and process the funds.
APPLICATION AND AWARD TIMELINE
- October 1, 2019: Applications due! Apply here.
- October 11, 2019: 20 semi-finalists will be selected and notified. A People’s Choice Winner, as determined by total Instagram Likes on a post, will receive one of the grants. If you’d like to go for the People’s Choice grant, post your project on Instagram in any way you choose (photo or video), saying you’re a semi-finalist and using the hashtag #BAMCOStudentActivistGrants, and asking for Likes by 10am PST October 25.
- October 25, 12pm: The People’s Choice grant and remaining recipients — chosen by current and former Fellows, along with Bon Appetit leadership — will be announced via our website, social media, and emails to the winners.
- November 2019: Grants will be distributed.
- May 2020: Grant winners are expected to report back on their project with a short summary and 2-3 photos
Have questions or interested in the Fellowship Program? Email Nicole Tocco Cardwell, Manager of Strategic Initiatives, at email@example.com.