The Student Activist Grant Program from Bon Appétit Management Company
In honor of the 10th anniversary of the Bon Appétit Fellowship Program, we’re offering ten $1,000 grants to student groups with compelling projects to improve food system sustainability. For example, to fund a campus garden or a Food Recovery Network chapter — or something else entirely. We received almost 50 applications from campuses we serve around the country! We are inspired by all the great ideas these student-activists suggested.
People’s Choice Award voting is now open! One winner will be selected based on the number of Likes on the project’s Instagram post. Follow the hashtag #BAMCOStudentActivistGrants — anyone can vote — and we’ll update this with links to the posts as they go up. Voting closes 10am PST October 25.
Here are the semi-finalists (drumroll please) — the details of their projects can be found here or directly via the links below:
- Case Western Reserve University (Humanitarian Design Corps Local Team)
- Claremont McKenna College (Food Recovery Network) | VOTE
- Cornell College (Cornell College Bee Interest Group)
- DePauw University (Sustainability and Leadership Program)
- Eckerd College (Eckerd College Garden Club)
- Goucher College (Agriculture Cooperative)
- Hillsdale College (The Roots Project) | VOTE
- Johns Hopkins University (Blue Jay’s Perch) | VOTE
- Johns Hopkins University (Enactus JHU) | VOTE
- Knox College (Students for Sustainability) | VOTE
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Waste Watchers) | VOTE
- Santa Clara University (Food Recovery Network)
- Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD Net Impact & SCAD Back40) | VOTE
- The Thacher School (Thacher Environmental Action Committee) | VOTE
- University of Chicago (Food Recovery Network) | VOTE
- University of Chicago (Phoenix Sustainability Initiative (PSI) – Service Group) | VOTE
- Wesleyan University (Long Lane Farm)
- Wesleyan University (Residential Composting) | VOTE
- Wheaton College (Student Government’s Campus Sustainability Committee) | VOTE
- Whittier College (POET Food Security)
On October 25, we’ll be selecting the People’s Choice grant and announcing the other nine recipients via this page, social media, and emails to the winners. The funds will be distributed in November, and we’ll hear back from all the winners at the end of the academic year with a brief report back on their progress, which we plan to share on our blog and company magazine.
About the Bon Appétit Fellowship Program
The Bon Appétit Management Company leadership team created the Bon Appetit Fellowship Program in 2009 to help young food-systems activists learn about sustainable food issues firsthand, participate in the company’s work to make change, and educate their peers. Have questions or interested in the Fellowship Program? Email Nicole Tocco Cardwell, Manager of Strategic Initiatives, at firstname.lastname@example.org.