“We hope the way Bon Appétit lives its values inspires other companies to do the same.”
—Jose Padilla, Executive Director of California Rural Legal Assistance
Awards for Bon Appétit and Executives
- Acterra Award for Sustainability
- Most Admired CEO: Community, San Francisco Business Times
- EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2014 National Retail and Consumer Products Award
- EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ 2014 Award in the Services category in Northern California
- Most Innovative Company in Food (2013), Fast Company
- Lifetime Achievement Award, International Association of Culinary Professionals
- Sustainability Pathfinder Award, Chefs Collaborative
- Cruz Reynoso-Ralph Abascal Don Quixote Award, California Rural Legal Assistance
- Inaugural Leadership Award, James Beard Foundation
- Seafood Champion, Seafood Choices Alliance
- Inaugural Going Green Award for Business Leader, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Best Sustainability Initiative (for Low Carbon Diet), Food Management
- Industry leader recognition in Environmental Defense Fund’s Innovations Review
- Nation’s Restaurant News Innovator Award
- Food Alliance “Keeper of the Vision” award for excellence in sustainable food service
- The Humane Society of the United States Award for Excellence in Food Service
- Ecological Society of America’s Corporate Award for ethical business practices
- SAMCEDA’s Award of Excellence for service to the community
- Portland Sustainable Development Office’s BEST Award
- BEST Award for Sustainable Food Systems
- “Most Vegetarian-conscious Ball Park” and “Most Vegetarian- and Earth-Friendly Corporate Café” from PETA
- William D. Littleford Award for Corporate Public Service
- “Golden Dumpster Award” from the City of San Francisco for achievements in converting what would have been trash into renewable resources.
- Restaurant & Institution‘s Ivy Award for distinguished excellence in food and lodging operations in the U.S.
Awards for Individual Locations
- 2014 Outstanding Food Donor, Food Lifeline, for Bon Appétit in Seattle
- Gold Award for Waste Management from the National Association of College & University Food Services (NACUFS), for Bon Appétit at Washington University in St. Louis
- Business & Industry Innovator of the Year (Starbucks HQ — picture, right), Food Management (view PDF)
- Best Place to Have Lunch (Carlson Center), Lake Minnetonka Magazine
- Best Menu Concept (eBay), Food Management
- Gold certification from the City of Portland’s Sustainability at Work program for Lewis & Clark College and Reed College in Portland, OR
- Gold for Waste Management in NACUFS’ 2014 Sustainability Awards, for Washington University in St. Louis
- Grand Prize, National Association of College and University Food Services’ Loyal E. Horton Dining Awards for Case Western Reserve University’s renovated Leutner Commons
Our schools consistently place on Best Campus Food lists:
- For The Princeton Review’s 2018 “20 Best Colleges for Campus Food” list, Washington University in St. Louis was ranked #3, St. Olaf College #4, and Pitzer College #13. Read more coverage about the 2017 list as reported by The Independent, on which Bon Appétit served four! Previous years’ Princeton Review rankings: St. Olaf College (#4 in 2016, #5 in 2014), Wheaton College (#1 in 2011, 2008, and 2002; #6 in 2013 and 2012), Washington University in St. Louis (#5 in 2012, #7 in 2014 and 2011, #7 in 2014, #9 in 2013), and others.
- In 2016 USA Today data-mined Niche.com rankings to publish a list of “Best Colleges in Each State Based on Dining Hall Food” on which seven Bon Appétit campuses appeared.
- The Daily Meal’s annual 75 Best Colleges for Food in America for 2015 list included 13 Bon Appétit schools, three of them in the top 20: Mills College (#12), Emory University (#10), and Johns Hopkins University (#3).