This sweet potato and black bean chili is a creative take on traditional chili but without as much sodium! Spices like chili powder, cumin, and chipotle create a “wow” flavor factor, without using too much salt.
Makes 6 servings • Serving Size: 1-1/2 cup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-3/4 cup canned black beans, drained
- 14 ounces (about 2 cups) diced tomatoes, in juice (no salt added)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, and salt, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until sweet potato is tender, about 10-12 minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes, and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.