Creamy, made without major allergens, and oh-so-satisfying, this plant-forward version of a mushroom risotto includes shiitake mushrooms and green tea for an interesting spin on a comforting classic.
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces shiitake or 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain brown or brown arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons dry sake or white wine, optional
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh peas (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons matcha powder, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Nutritional yeast (optional)*
Heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high in a large pot. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and browned, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drizzle in more olive oil to prevent sticking as needed. Set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the same pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add rice and toast the grains until translucent, about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Drizzle in more olive oil if desired.
Add optional sake or white wine and stir to coat. Cook until all liquid is absorbed.
Add vegetable stock 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently. Continue cooking, stirring, and adding vegetable stock until rice is cooked through, but still a little firm (“al dente”), which should take about 30-45 minutes. Adjust heat as needed so that risotto is constantly simmering.
Stir in the peas and 1 teaspoon matcha powder and cook another 2 minutes. Taste and adjust matcha powder as desired.
Turn off heat and mix in the reserved cooked mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and optional vegan butter and black pepper. Add more salt and/or pepper to taste and top with optional vegan cheese and a dusting of matcha powder if desired.
*Parmesan or a vegan cheese can also be used, but these toppings include one of the major 8 allergens.