By Kristen Rasmussen, MS, RD
For this month’s Well Being Challenge, we encourage you to eat at least seven servings of fruits and vegetables and two servings of whole grains every day for one week. Visit cafebonappetit.com for resources to help determine what is a standard serving of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Share your experiences by posting comments or photos of foods in proper portions on our Facebook page wall. Here’s a recipe to get you started.
Makes six 1/2 cup servings
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes for about 3 cups
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, onions, brown sugar and dried oregano. Place in a roasting pan or on a sheet pan and spread in a single layer. Roast for 30 – 45 minutes until the squash is tender. Stir the vegetables periodically during roasting to ensure even cooking.
- Toss with chopped fresh parsley and salt. Serve 1/2 cup portions warm or cold.