Recipe: Shaved Radish Fennel Salad with Blood Orange and Black Olive
- by bonappetit
The foods you choose can make a difference, so go further with this interesting twist on a seasonal salad using flavorful and bold blood oranges, peppery shaved radish, and savory black olives.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- 1 blood orange, segmented
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced or shaved using a mandolin
- 7 radishes, shaved using vegetable peeler or mandolin (or thinly sliced)¼ cup olives, such as Moroccan, Kalamata, or Niçoise, pitted and chopped
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
Whisk olive oil with lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
To segment the orange, slice off each end of the fruit in a straight line. Cut down the edges to reveal the flesh, following the curve of the orange. Try to take away all of the skin and pith without removing too much of the fruit. Cut out segments of orange between the membranes. Reserve orange segments.
Toss fennel and radish, and a few optional fennel fronds with dressing and place on a serving dish.
Top salad with orange segments, olives, optional fennel fronds, and optional olive oil drizzle. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Serve immediately.