Recipe: Curried Chicken, Grape, and Almond Salad
In the early fall, grapes are a perfect seasonal pairing to a subtly spicy and delicious curried chicken salad with an almond crunch. Apples or pears can be substituted for grapes, depending on geographic location and season. Serves 4.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup seedless green or red grapes, halved or quartered (depending on size of grape)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder*
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Toss chicken with grapes and almonds and set aside.
Whisk yogurt with curry powder, salt, olive oil, and water. Fold into chicken mixture.
Serve chicken salad atop lettuce or cabbage, in a whole wheat pita, or on its own. Dust with cayenne pepper if you’d like a spicy kick.
*Alternatively, use a blend of 2 parts cumin with 1 part turmeric and 1 part coriander and adjust according to taste.