Recipe: Cauliflower Herb Flatbread
Trade in refined carbohydrates for a boost of antioxidants and fiber with this versatile side dish that can also be used as a pizza crust. Serves 4 as an appetizer.
- 3 cups cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for greasing baking sheet
- 1/2 cup shallot, minced (about 2 bulbs)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated soft cheese, such as mozzarella or gouda
- Herbs: 1 teaspoon dried herbs or 1/2 cup fresh minced herbs (or a combination of fresh and dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, tarragon, chervil, basil, oregano)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Steam cauliflower until soft (about 5 minutes) and drain completely. By hand or Using a fork, food processor or immersion blender, mince cauliflower until you have achieved a crumbly texture.
Cook shallot in 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add shallot to cauliflower mix.
Stir 1/2 cup of the cheese and all of the herbs, salt, and pepper into the cauliflower mixture. Add eggs and mix in until a batter has formed.
Spread dough into a rectangle, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick, on top of a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.
Turn oven to broil, scatter remaining cheese over top of cooked cauliflower bread and broil another 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Allow bread to cool slightly, slice, and serve. Goes well with a dipping sauce such as romesco, marinara, or pesto.