Recipe: Bistro Lentil Salad with Carrots and Dijon
Pulses, such as lentils, are some of the most earth-friendly protein options. This salad deliciously combines them with Dijon and carrots for a comforting and flavorful lunch or dinner. Serves 6.
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup french green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped, plus a few sprigs for garnish
Heat the carrot and garlic in 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add the lentils and stir to combine. Add the water and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool and then drain any excess water. Remove bay leaf.
While lentils are cooking, make the vinaigrette. Combine the mustard, shallot, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Whisk in olive oil until incorporated.
Toss lentils with vinaigrette and chopped thyme. Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with thyme sprig.