By Kristen Rasmussen, MS, RD
For this month’s well being challenge, we encourage you to provide your body with more nutrients and fiber and decrease your carbon footprint by enjoying more plant- based proteins. Demonstrate your commitment to increasing vegetable proteins in your diet by posting photos or comments about your plant-based protein meals and experiences on our Facebook page wall. Here’s a delicious, unique recipe for you to try.
Black Bean and Beet Burgers
State Auto, Columbus, Ohio
Makes 8-10 burgers
- 4 1/2 cups cooked rice, brown preferred
- One 16oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1/2 cup roasted cooled beets (about 1-2 beets), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red or green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle pepper, soaked in water, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, raw old fashioned oats
*In Bon Appétit kitchens, menu items containing beans are made with cooked dry beans. You can substitute cooked dry beans for canned beans in your home as well. They may take longer to prepare, but have fresher flavor and are lower in sodium.