Bring color and nutrients to your breakfast game with this savory vegetable hash that has a spicy kick. Serves 4.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 2 medium jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 4 eggs (optional)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes, then add sweet potato, salt, and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until potatoes are softened, but still firm. Mix in spinach, jalapeño and water.
Cover, turn down to medium-low, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Using large spatula, transfer each portion of hash to plates. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Note: If using eggs, before step 2 separate sweet potato mixture into four portions, make a slight well in the center of each, and crack one egg into each well.