- 1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (substitute 2 tablespoons lime juice if this is unavailable)
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (substitute 1 tablespoon tamari for vegetarians)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium golden or red beets, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated or very thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cooked (steamed or boiled), peeled, and diced
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
Heat oil on high, and once oil is hot, fry garlic slices until golden brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove garlic, place on paper towel, and reserve oil for dressing.
Combine tamarind paste and hot water in a bowl (if substituting lime juice, use an additional 1/4 cup room temperature water), squeezing liquid and discarding any tamarind pulp. Stir to dissolve and allow to cool.
Add reserved oil, lime juice, fish sauce or tamari, sugar, salt, and chile flakes. Stir until dissolved.
Toss all ingredients with dressing until combined.