This version of the classic North African spice blend combines warming ingredients like cloves and cinnamon with other tantalizing flavors such as cayenne and ginger to create the “wow-factor” you’re looking for without the salt. Use it to top anything from chickpea tagines to roasted vegetables or even popcorn! Makes about 1/4 cup.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
Whisk together all ingredients until combined. Spice blend will keep in sealed container for up to 6 months.
If you have access to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, consider toasting then grinding as many of the spices as you can from whole seeds, as that will contribute to a more robust flavor.