By Kristen Rasmussen, MS, RD
For this month’s well being challenge, we encourage you to replace an unhealthy saturated fat or refined carbohydrate with a healthy unsaturated fat source once a day for one week. Demonstrate your commitment toembracing healthy fats in your diet by posting photos or comments about your healthy fat substitutions on our Facebook page wall. Here’s a recipe to get you started.
Chocolate and Avocado Brownies
Makes one 9×13’’ pan
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed avocado
- 3/4 cup lowfat cow’s milk or soymilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil, plus more for greasing baking dish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish with oil.
2. Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Set aside.
3. Beat together the mashed avocado, milk, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until top has hardened, but center is still slightly soft.