Recipe: Cajun Tofu Burger
Posted by Kristen Rasmussen on June 13, 2013in Featured, Food for Your Well-Being, Low Carbon Diet, Nutrition, Recipe - 0 Comments
Makes 6 to 8 burgers.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1-2 jalepeño peppers, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 16-oz package extra firm tofu, pressed to remove excess liquid
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce*
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs
Sauté vegetables in teaspoon olive oil until soft.
While the vegetables are cooking, use a fork to mash tofu until crumbled.
Mix in vegetables and remaining ingredients. Allow to sit, refrigerated, for 2 hours or overnight.
Form mixture into 4-5-oz patties with hands. Brush with olive oil and sear on each side for 3-5 minutes on grill or in sauté pan until golden.
*Try 2 tablespoons Sriracha and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in place of barbecue sauce for a Korean spin.