In 1987, our founders Fedele Bauccio and Ernie Collins had the idea that the contract-feeding market was ready for something new. That if offered great tasting, fresh food, corporate, private higher education and specialty clients would jump at the chance to offer a restaurant-quality experience onsite. With that idea in mind, Bon Appétit Management Company was born.
Fedele and Ernie started by buying a San Francisco-based catering company known for its incredible food presentation and focused the talented chefs on their new target market. The newly formed, food-focused company took off. Poised to capitalize on the new breed of corporations that truly value employees and colleges alert to the fact that food plays an integral role in quality of life, Bon Appétit was the right company at the right time.
In 1999, we had an awakening. The search for the best ingredients led our chefs to the realization that our local food sheds were disappearing and food was being grown to look pretty but not necessarily to taste good. With that knowledge, our Farm to Fork program and commitment to sustainability was born. Since then we have taken on myriad issues surrounding the food system, from industrial animal husbandry to the depletion of our oceans to our carbon “food print.”
Twenty years after our founding we are still changing the marketplace. We were the first food service company to commit to socially responsible sourcing and have continued to push ourselves and our competitors to look closer and closer at our supply chains. We will continue to do so as we strive for a truly sustainable future.
Over the years we have been lucky enough to have our work recognized by many organizations. A sampling:
- CEO Fedele Bauccio honored with Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Association of Culinary Professionals, 2012
- Fedele wins Sustainability Pathfinder Award from Chefs Collaborative, 2011
- Fedele wins inaugural Leadership Award from the James Beard Foundation, 2011
- Industry leader recognition in Environmental Defense Fund's Innovations Review 2009
- CEO Fedele Bauccio was named Business Leader in Natural Resources Defense Council's inaugural Going Green Awards, in 2009
- Nation's Restaurant News Innovator Award for CEO Fedele Bauccio
- Food Alliance "Keeper of the Vision" award for excellence in sustainable food service
- CEO Fedele Bauccio and Bon Appétit Management Company Foundation Director Helene York named Seafood Champions by Seafood Choices Alliance
- The Humane Society of the United States Award for Excellence in Food Service
- Ecological Society of America's Corporate Award for ethical business practices
- SAMCEDA’s Award of Excellence for service to the community
- Portland Sustainable Development Office's BEST Award
- BEST Award for Sustainable Food Systems
- "Most Vegetarian-conscious Ball Park" and "Most Vegetarian- and Earth-Friendly Corporate Café" from PETA
- Fedele Bauccio, CEO, received the FCSI Trendsetter Award
- William D. Littleford Award for Corporate Public Service
- "Golden Dumpster Award" from the City of San Francisco for achievements in converting what would have been trash into renewable resources.
- Twice Named #1 College Food Service in the Country by the Princeton Review
- Restaurant & Institution’s Ivy Award for distinguished excellence in food and lodging operations in the U.S.
- Food Management magazine's Best Concepts Award for Best Menu and Best Special Event